Questions at this meeting will be limited to the agenda, but parents will have the opportunity to write other questions they may have regarding the SI program at either school on note cards, which the Board will respond to or address at future SIPAPA meetings. We thank you in advance for your assistance in keeping the meeting focused and productive.
SIPAPA Board Meeting Agenda
12/12, Jordan Library, 7PM
I. Overview of the areas of discussion and aims for the meeting
II. Mr. Barnes’s thoughts about the SI program at Jordan– what is working well, and ideas for improving the program that are being considered
III. Areas SIPAPA would like to support changes in:
A. Develop a comprehensive curriculum that expands the program at Jordan
• Obtain curricula or plans used at other SI schools
• Request/fund time for administration and Spanish teachers to visit other schools and meet and collaborate
• Request hiring of Dual Immersion Curriculum Specialist
• Establish and communicate objectives for each grade level
B. Student transitions into and out of the Jordan program
• Develop Student Transition Plan from 5th to 6th grade (Spanish Immersion to Spanish class). Feedback is very positive for Mr. Ezcurra.
• Request/fund additional planning time for middle school teachers
• Transition from 8th to 9th grade– look at Paly’s/Gunn’s 3rd and 4th year Spanish courses and assess optimal placement for our kids
C. Teacher training and resources
• Fund teacher development to help maintain student interest and commitment to the Spanish program
• Are there Spanish materials or supplies that teachers would like for their classrooms?
D. Cultural activities for Spanish students and the Jordan community – parent/SIPAPA supported and organized
• 8th grade trip to a Latin American country
• Local field trips
• Student group w/advisor to organize events and activities based on student interest (performances, local field trips, concerts, etc.)
IV. What can SIPAPA do to strengthen the program?
• Are there any areas where parent feedback, e.g. in the form of surveys, would be helpful?
• Work with Jordan to clarify the “Spanish Lane” curriculum, e.g., by researching SI programs at other middle schools
• Work with the School Board regarding expansion of the Spanish program at Jordan
• Organize and sponsor cultural events
• Establish a working group of parents to follow up on these items, including periodic meetings with representatives from Jordan.